Friday, May 29, 2009

May 28, 2009 set list - Building Hope!

A Ssubi construction crew in Kampala - Philip is the dude in the back with the red nyc t-shirt. Photo from Ssubi website.

Howdy!

This week I had the pleasure of chatting with my friend Philip Ndugga, about the local organization that he has helped to create, called Ssubi - Ssubi exists to create educational opportunities for underpriveleged kids in Philip's native Uganda.

Philip told us about how Ssubi came into existence, the kinds of things they do, and some of the things that you can do to help them with their work, including a fundraising event they have coming up on Sunday June 7th. You can also get with Ssubi on facebook, though I am not a facebookian so I can't tell you how.

Here are the tunes we heard:
amish pintxos - medeski martin & wood (coming to Jazz fest!)*
you been talkin' bout me baby - ramsey lewis trio
luna y sol - federico aubele*
rastaman chant - bob marley & the wailers
beware - mutabaruka (coming to Folkfest!)
soldier - dj vadim feat. big red & 5nizza*
come and get it - westbound train*
cheap wine river - experimental dental school*
soul do samba - marcio local*
guerreiro - curumin
metamorfosis - cafe tacuba
lift up - spear of the nation*
do you know karate? - jenny omnichord
nakato leka - bitone project
jesus is the only answer - bela fleck and ateso jazz band*
(phil brought some music, that i forgot to write down!)
loma da nigbehin - monomono tire*
where'd you get those pants? - fishbone
boogie boots - idris mohammad

Well, that's it for me. Hopefully Ola will join the blog, and post her setlist for next week's show here.

Put on your boogie boots, get back to your party roots, and mosey on down to big rock next sunday to try on some jeans and support Ssubi.

Talk to y'all in a couple weeks,
greg

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Hi Greg, can you help me? I am an old friend of Phil and Tracy's: I worked with Tracy in Uganda at the time they met and was "best man" for Phil at their wedding in Calgary. Unfortunately, we've lost touch (I now live in Mozambique), but I'd love to contact them again. If at all possible, please give them my email rmarques@wwf.org.uk. I would be SO delighted to hear from them! THANKS!