Monday, August 11, 2008

what a useless tool - set lists for july 24th and 31st, 2008

If you think I'm a useless tool, apparently you haven't seen this. "Here, honey - brace this for me while i sharpen my lawnmower blades!". $35 and it's yours!

Hi friends;

I keep posting my setlists to this blog with completely irresponsible delinquence. I am also really crappy at returning books to the library or videos to the video store on time. My Uncle Allan (RIP) always said "excuses are for people who make them" In my case, the same applies for promises to be better and more efficient in the future, so I guess I'll spare myself the typing and you the future disappointment.

Here's the setlist for July 24th - when I filled in for Mark and we were entertained by a fabulous band from Winnipeg called the Paperbacks. Here's a link to something about them on CBC Radio 3 - check here soon for a podcast of their live performance on CJSW. The tunes (I played a lot of stuff to get people primed for folk fest this year -which was pretty damn fine!):

who knows? (live) - jimi hendrix and a band of gypsies
cheese & crackers - deja voodoo
farmaciennomane - ouanani*
stand firm - peter tosh
medicine - guru feat. ini kamoze
(rock the) belz - socalled
think about it - metermaids*
african dialects - peter king*
birds of paradise - basia bulat
georgie buck - carolina chocolate drops
poor man rich city - beija flor
i'm new here - smog
~~then we talked with the paperbacks and they played us some songs~~
holocaust art - the paperbacks
pissing on everything - jim bryson
time bomb - los straitjackets

On July 31st, I soapboxed about building strong communities and being the kind of change you would like to see in the world, about the mormon youth brigade that has taken over u of c campus, and some crazy shit going down on the prairie. Oh yeah, and I incorrectly stated that mojo nixon is dead. whoops.

in the battle of sun versus curtains, sun loses and we sleep 'til noon - woodpigeon*
bacalao con pan - grupo fantasma*
let's reggae all night - css*
two chord skankin' - ljx (coming to reggae fest this weekend!)
hello jamaica - lee scratch perry (dammit, his sept 4th calgary show is cancelled! dammit!)
full up - sound dimension
bone riddim' - burning babylon*
spiritual masterkey - talvin singh vs. osmani soundz
just won't stop - herbaliser feat. yungun aka essa*
turn it down - peter project*
looks like to kill - sonantes*
surf song - the saturday knights*
golden years - susumu yokota*
never had a problem - andre williams and the new orleans hellhounds*
funky women - maceo parker & all the kings men
pink-o boogie - ry cooder*
move together - ndidi onukwulu*
nehemiah's misfortune - agnostic mountain gospel choir*
key to the highway - memphis slim & jazz gillum*
lightnin's piano boogie (live) - lightnin' hopkins
chicken drop - mojo nixon (not dead! alive!) & skid roper
100 years - dr. dog

Oh crap - I forgot to tell you about my pal Kory, who called in to let me know about the annual rally and debauching of the apocalypse scooter club - they did a whole bunch of cool stuff last weekend (two weekends ago? f@#k me, i really truly suck!) that you might have known about if I wasn't such a delinquent boob. Hey Kory, maybe you can come on the show next year before the rally and let us all know about it! Better yet, send me a comment and let me know how the rally went this year.

Thanks for tuning in everyone - talk to you later this week. Check this blog for future setlists in 2009 (tee hee)...

tee hee hee hee,
g

No comments: